Sonntag, 15. Mai 2016

Birthday card drama

Hello. Hallo. Hola

Recently my father had his 50th birthday. This post might caise controversy so bear with me. I am intitled to my opinion like any other.

My dad lives abroad and at his birthday I try to Skype with him to compensate. This year my stepmother whatsapps me asking I got him a card for his birthday. I never send cards I find them unpersonal and unnecessary. So I reply that I don't have a card and that I can't send him his present with the mail anyway because its not material. (I want to go to a sushi restaurant, which he hasn't had since he's met my stepmother because she doesn't like fish. And an afternoon just us two to caught up as we don't see each other a lot.)

However my stepmother was not amused: 
Stepmother : ??? Not sure what that means
Didn't ask about a present...
I only asked if you sent a card, have you?
Me : No
Stepmother : It would have been nice for him to have had a card from you, do you not think?
Me: I know but I didn't want to buy any old card
Stepmother: So buy a nice card!! Or moonpig, you have had enough time, he's 50 tomorrow Samira and now will have nothing to open from you...


So now I was being guilt trip into send my father a card from someone that at no point was an authority figure for me. I never send card and I am absolutely rubbish at making them. The problem with the story is thats she believes my dad needs to open something from me. At this moment I was a little annoyed. My mother suggested a e card, which are extremely ugly. I spoke with my bestfriend and she knows I don't give cards and found the whole argumentation ridiculous. 

In the end I went with my gut. I didn't send a card and my father was happier about the present he got from me then any old stupid card.

This might be just a smalk thing but we should stand up for ourselves even if it would be easier to bend to the general opinion

Have you made any simular experiences. Leave your stories below.

See you next week. Bis nächste Woche. Hasta siguiente semana.
Mind Ramble