Sonntag, 31. Januar 2016

Should I become an Au-pair?

Hello, Hallo, Hola.

Your considering doing an Au-pair but don't know what to expected. Here are my pros and cons: (These are based on my experiences)

Money


Don't do it for the money! I repeat don't do it for the money! Children can extremly annoying or be loud or tease you. You don't necessarily have to love children but if you are solely doing it for the money you will go mad. I met a Au-pair you hated children, she did an 8 months Au-pair with 3 children. In the end she loved the experience.

Privacy


For the time that your there you might have less privacy then your used to. I did miss my privacy but it wasn't that bad because I knew it was only for a short amount of time.

Experiences


On your trip you will learn a lot about your Au-pair family and the way they live. You might learn a lot about yourself and will generally learn skills like tolerance patience and empathy. As Au-pair you might see parenting that you don't agree with. Which can be frustrating however you can use the experiences for later life.

New culture


Doing an Au-pair in a different country you can learn a new language and a new culture. There will be lots of new things to see, lots of new foods to eat. You might even have the opportunity to celebrate the country's holidays.

My Au-pair experience wasn't as I expected but I am happy that I did it. However I wouldn't do it a second time. I learned a lot about myself and the Spanish culture. I found my Au-pair family through mutual friends which made me feel safe.


I hope that helped. Did you do an Au-pair and have your own pros and cons?

See you next week. Bis nächste Woche. Hasta siguiente semana.
Mind Ramble