Sonntag, 13. September 2015

Being on time is overrated !

Hello Hallo Hola,

"We are going to arrive later" The dreaded word for every overly punctual person. the undefined word "later" could mean in 2 minutes, in 15 minutes, in an hour. For the overly punctual a disaster because one can't plan for a "later".

This has been quite a challenge for me here in Spain. The Spanish being known for their different perception of time (this obviously doesn't apply to all Spanish people, however the majority of people I have met in Spain fulfill this stereotype). I'm going to share my 2 top examples.

My Au-pair mother's sister invited us to dinner at 20:20, my Au-pair mother also being a passionately punctual, we arrived at 20:15. Ringing the doorbell we received no answer and after calling the sister waited in front of the lock door. For the host. She arrived at 20:40. The host arrived 20 minutes late!

I don't know how some of you feel about this but this made me uneasy to say the least, imagining being the host coming late, I personally would be extremely embarrassed. Nevertheless the sister was super chilled as if nothing happened and judging by the reaction of my Au-pair mother this isn't the first time this happened.

The second occurrence being with my Spanish friends. We wanted to have a BBQ.

12:48
We are picking you up in 30 minutes
13:24
Going to be later (the dreaded word!!)
14:19
In 15 minutes there 
14:37
Come downstairs we are here
14:44
(exactly arrive)

Thank goodness I didn't have anything else planned that day. It still put me on edge although I was more relaxed as I am getting accustomed to it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being on time, it's important for official meetings and events, however when meeting with friends I will try to relax if they are running late by a few minutes.

See you next week. Bis nächste Woche. Hasta siguiente semana.



When this whole list applies to me:
http://thoughtcatalog.com/jamie-varon/2015/03/18-times-a-punctual-person-feels-secretly-smug/